Harold Edward Elliott - History of World War I - WW1 - The Great War

Harold Edward Elliott - No Picture

More about World War 1

Harold Edward Elliott Information

Harold Edward Elliott

Nickname: "Pompey"
Place of birth: West Charlton, Victoria
Place of death: Malvern, Victoria
Allegiance: Australia
Service/branch: Australian Army
Years of service: 1899-1931
Rank: Major General
Commands held: 3rd Division
15th Brigade
7th Battalion
Battles/wars: Second Boer War
First World War
Gallipoli Campaign
Battle of Lone Pine
Western Front
Battle of Fromelles
Battle of Polygon Wood
Battle of the Hindenburg Line
Awards: Companion of the Order of the Bath
Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George
Distinguished Service Order
Distinguished Conduct Medal
Volunteer Decoration
Mentioned in Despatches (8)
Order of St. Anna (Russia)
Croix de guerre (France)
Other work: Solicitor at Law
Senator for Victoria
Board Member Royal Melbourne Hospital

Second Boer War
First World War

Gallipoli Campaign
Battle of Lone Pine
Western Front
Battle of Fromelles
Battle of Polygon Wood
Battle of the Hindenburg Line

Major General Harold Edward "Pompey" Elliott CB, CMG, DSO, DCM, VD (19 June 1878 - 23 March 1931) was a senior officer in the Australian Army during the First World War. Elliot also served as a Senator in the Australian parliament.

Early life

Elliott, son of Thomas Elliott, was born at West Charlton, Victoria. He was educated at Ballarat College (where one of the school houses, "Elliott", is now named after him) then Ormond College, at the University of Melbourne, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Master of Laws (LL.M.) sharing the final honours scholarship in law in 1906. Before this he had been at the war in South Africa from 1899 to 1902, in which he obtained a commission and the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was called to the Victorian bar in 1906 and established the firm of solicitors, H. E. Elliott and Company.

First World War

He had joined the militia after the Boer War, held the rank of lieutenant colonel when the First World War began, and was immediately given the same rank in the Australian Imperial Force, commanding the 7th Battalion. Throughout the War, Elliott was accompanied by a black charger, called "Darkie", who (with subtle encouragement) would spot the smallest irregularities in the men. Years later, his men were still convinced that it was the horse who had noticed the errors their commander had berrated them for.

Galipolli Campaign

He left Australia in October 1914, was shot in the foot on the landing at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915, and rejoining his battalion in June was in the midst of the fighting at Lone Pine in August.

Suez Canal

After the Retreat, the 7th Battalion was returned to Egypt, where they were sent 35 miles across the desert to defend the Suez Canal. The crossing was first attempted by the 14th Battalion, who were forced to turn back. Elliott personally inspected the route, talked with officers familiar with it and drew up a new timetable for the march, managing to get his men across with only a handful of casualties. On the march, one man forgot the ban of smoking. Elliott characteristically started to scream at the man, even threatening to shoot him. Out from the ranks came a shout: "If you shoot him, I'll shoot you." When the soldier who called out was brought forward and explained that no one talked to his brother like that, Elliott sent the man to his school for NCOs, with the rationale that anyone who could stand up to himself in full flight clearly had leadership potential.

On arriving at Suez, the water that the Battalion had been promised was nowhere to be found. They were assured that the water was coming, but hours later it still had not appeared. Elliott then made one of the "vigorous protests" that he was becoming famous for. He even threatened to march them back across the Suez Canal to get them a drink. It was outrageous to deprive men of water in the desert, and their understandable fury could escalate into mutiny. Elliott thundered. He was then assured that the water would be available at 5.30 the next morning.

Elliott was up at 5am, where he found many of his men had been unable to sleep due to their thirst and were licking at the taps around camp. He found the camp's Chief Engineer who informed him that the Egyptian authorities had not provided enough water for the troops in camp and that he had strict orders not to start the pumps before 8am, as it would wake the Corps Commander (the officer who had approved the march through the desert to begin with). Elliott remounted his horse and tore off to Corps Headquarters, where he informed a yawning Staff Officer that unless the water was turned on in the next five minutes, the 7th Battalion would be assembling and telling the Corps Commander exactly what they thought of him. The Staff Officer made a phone call, and Elliott was warned that he shouldn't make such a fuss again. He simply replied that he would do whatever was needed to help his men whenever he had to.

Western Front

He was promoted to brigadier general early in 1916, assuming command of the 15th Brigade shortly before the disaster at Fromelles. Despite his inexperience in Trench Warfare, he pointed out to Major Howard of Field Marshal Haig's staff that the width of No-man's Land was too great for the assault to succeed. Major Howard agreed and on returning to Haig's Chateau attempted to persuade him that the attack was doomed to fail. But the commander-in-chief decided that the operation must go on, and so Elliott did all that was possible to make it a success by himself going to the front line to personally inspect the lie of the land encourage his men. At 11.30 of the night of the attack when asked if he could make a fresh attack he replied "cannot guarantee success of attack... but willing to try". An hour later he realized that the previous attacks had been a complete failure, reported to that effect, and that he was now organizing the defense of the original trenches. In the end, 1800 of the 5533 Australian casualties were from the 15th Brigade. It has been stated that Elliott became intoxicated by danger, but he would not throw away his men uselessly. His brigade did magnificent work at the Battle of Polygon Wood at the end of September 1917, Elliott proving to be an inspiring leader, and again at second Villers-Bretonneux in April 1918, at Peronne at the end of August, and at the Hindenburg Line a month later. Early in October the Australians were withdrawn for a rest and did not take part in any further fighting.

As the members of the Brigade began to return to Australia after the war, Pompey became increasingly depressed. Eventually he called a Parade to hand out some last medals, and gave them a farewell speech to thank them for upholding his demanding standards. After this they were dismissed and he returned to his paperwork. Later that afternoon, the Brigade again returns to the Chateau he had taken up residence in, preceded by bands and colours. Each company circled the Chateau and cheered for their Commander. Lastly, the senior Colonel called for three cheers and tells Pompey that the men wanted to show their appreciation for him and that despite it being a voluntary march, everyone was there.

Elliott was mentioned eight times in despatches, was created Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George in 1917, Companion of the Order of the Bath in 1918, and his other decorations included a Distinguished Conduct Medal and a Distinguished Service Order. Besides his Commonwealth decorations, he was awarded the Order of St Anne, 3rd Class and the Croix de guerre.

Political service

Elliott returned to Australia in June 1919 and at the general election held in that year was top of the poll at the election for the Victorian senators, and had the same position at the 1925 election. He sat on various committees but did not make any special mark as a politician. He was promoted to the rank of major general in 1927. He married in 1909 Catherine Fraser, daughter of Alexander Campbell, who survived him with a son and a daughter.

Elliott also played an important part in the 1923 Victorian Police strike, making a call for members of the AIF to come to Town Hall and sign up as Special Constables, alongside General Sir John Monash. Many men upon reaching Town Hall came specifically looking for Pompey, ready to stand behind him again, although was forced to leave only a few days into the Strike to attend meetings of a Royal Commission in Queensland.

Although not significant in the body politic in the Commonwealth Parliament Elliott made significant contributions and was strident in his efforts to assist returned servicemen particularly those with whom he had served. This would take the form of arguing in the Senate in relation to the new legislation being brought before it for the post war defence forces or personally assisting any member of his Battalion.

Elliott felt that he was sidelined by the new leadership of the Australian Army this was most probably due to his outspokenness particularly in relation to these changes and indeed the war time records of some of those now being selected for the prime appointments.


Elliott was significantly affected by what would now be referred to as "post traumatic stress disorder" and "depression", then diagnosed by Dr J F Williams as a "definite form of nervous disorder". So significant was his illness that, in the early hours of the morning of 23 March 1931, at 52 years of age, Elliott took his own life while receiving treatment as an inpatient in a private hospital in Malvern. He had been admitted to the hospital late the previous afternoon after making an attempt to gas himself at his home in Camberwell.

Elliot was buried on 25 March 1931. After a short service at his home, (56 Prospect Hill Road, Camberwell, Victoria), his casket was drawn, with full military honours including bands and an escort party, on a gun carriage pulled by horses resplendent with black plumes, to the Burwood General Cemetery, a march of some four miles. Reports in the journals of the time detail the thousands who either followed the cortx¨ge or lined the parade route. At the graveside there was a moving and significant service.

The former Australian Prime Minister, Stanley Bruce, attended the funeral and later wrote to Elliott's wife Kate:

I have just returned for his funeral and I have never seen a greater tribute paid to a man ... it must be some comfort to you to see the universal regard, esteem and even affection in which he was held.

I have just returned for his funeral and I have never seen a greater tribute paid to a man ... it must be some comfort to you to see the universal regard, esteem and even affection in which he was held.

The Australian government's official war historian, C.E.W. Bean, provides a character sketch of Elliott in his renowned work, the 12-volume Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-1918. He summarises Elliott as "Outspoken, impulsive, excitable, straight as a ruled line."


C.E.W. Bean (1920 to 1942). Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-1918, Sydney, Australia: Angus and Robertson.
Ross McMullin (2002). "Pompey Elliott", Carlton North, Australia: Scribe Publications. ISBN 0 908011 70 9

More aircraft.

Source: WikiPedia

eXTReMe Tracker