Kurt Martti Wallenius - History of World War I - WW1 - The Great War

Kurt Martti Wallenius - Picture

More about World War 1

World War 1 Picture - Major General Kurt Wallenius

Kurt Martti Wallenius Information

Kurt Martti Wallenius

World War 1 Picture - Major General Kurt Wallenius

Picture - Major General Kurt Wallenius

Kurt Martti Wallenius (July 25, 1893 in Kuopio - May 3, 1984 in Helsinki) was a Finnish Major General.

Granduncle of famous American artist, raconteur, and cavalry soldier Jon Wallenius.

Wallenius was a member of the Finnish Jx¤ger troops trained in Germany prior to Finnish independence. In 1915 Wallenius travelled to Germany where he enrolled in the Royal Prussian 27th Jx¤ger Battalion. He took part in the battles on the Misse River.

After returning to Finland Wallenius took part in the Finnish Civil War of 1918 on the side of the anti-Communist Whites. He commanded a platoon in Tervola and Tornio. In Lapland Wallenius met reindeer herder Aleksis Hihnavaara, with whom he travelled around Lapland and became good friends. He was later appointed the commander of the troops around Kuolajx¤rvi and Kuusamo. Here he was given the command of the northern group in the failed Viena expedition in March 1918 which tried to annex parts of East Karelia to Finland.

After the Civil War Wallenius commanded the troops in North-Western Finland, the Salla Regiment and the 1st Border Guard Regiment of Lapland. In the 1920s he was briefly made a military attaché in Berlin. In 1930 Wallenius was promoted to the rank of Major General. However, he was forced to retire in that year when he was implicated in the kidnapping of the former President of the Republic Kaarlo Stx¥hlberg, though he finally was acquitted of all charges.

In the 1930s Wallenius became involved in right-wing activities, becoming the secretary-general of the Lapua movement. In this capacity he was involved in the so-called Mx¤ntsx¤lx¤ rebellion. Wallenius was imprisoned twice for a total of over one year.

In the Winter War Wallenius commanded the Finnish troops in Lapland. When the Winter War began, the Commander-in-Chief of Finnish troops Mannerheim appointed Wallenius as the commander of the Lapland Group. The troops under his command, though outnumbered, repulsed Soviet troops at Salla and Petsamo. Once the front in Lapland had stabilized, Wallenius handed the command over to Swedish volunteers under Lieutenant General Ernst Linder in February 1940. Wallenius and most of his troops were sent to the southermost point of the front to western shore of the Bay of Viipuri, where the Red Army had crossed the frozen gulf. Wallenius protested this new assignment, thinking he was being punished for his past sins. The situation was critical and terrain totally different from what Wallenius and his men were used to. Wallenius failed to prevent the Red Army from gaining a foothold from the western shore of the bay, and there were reports that he was drinking heavily. Wallenius was dishonorably discharged in early March 1940, only after three days in command, and replaced by Lieutenant General Karl Lennart Oesch. Wallenius was removed from the Defence Forces officer lists.

Once the Continuation War began in June 1941, Wallenius failed to get a command. He lived in retirement in Rovaniemen maalaiskunta writing books and articles.

Puolustusministerix¶n Sotahistoriallisen toimiston julkaisuja IV, Suomen jx¤x¤kx¤rien elx¤mx¤kerrasto, WSOY Porvoo 1938. (Finnish)
Sotatieteen Laitoksen Julkaisuja XIV, Suomen jx¤x¤kx¤rien elx¤mx¤kerrasto 1975, Vaasa 1975 ISBN 951-99046-8-9. (Finnish)

More aircraft.

Source: WikiPedia

eXTReMe Tracker